Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Richard Baker at Austin Marathon 2/17/08

Richard Baker at Austin Marathon 2/17/08

Finish time 3:10:06 (191 out 5100)
45-49 age group (18th out 355)

I have 23 years of triathlon and running under my belt, but this was going to be my first pure marathon since running Boston in 1998. It was the first marathon of any kind since the 2000 Florida Ironman. So, I had a learning curve for training for and racing a marathon.

In the end I crossed the line in 3:10:06. Though I didn’t hit my goal time...I am happy in knowing I did give it my best effort...Stephen had gotten in my head as to how I’d respond to adversity. I simply made it a point to run the best race I had on that day, on that course...I didn’t bonk or blow up which I have done in almost every marathon before. ..I would have gone out too fast and finished in a “death march”

Stephen was instrumental in helping me race the best race that I could on that day. I know of at least 6 other endurance sport coaches here in town and most of them are quite good and well-credentialed. However, I couldn’t have chosen a better fit for me.

No comments: