Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sydney at Boston Marathon


Thought I’d let you know how Boston went. I was dressed perfectly – thanks for the last minute help! And the sweats before were key too, excellent suggestion as I would have been freezing my ass off otherwise.

I enjoyed the day, the amazing crowds and the experience. I held back for most of the race and felt fantastic going up Heartbreak Hill. In fact I kept holding back thinking I hadn’t hit it yet – it didn’t seem long or steep enough when I hit it. I got to mile 20 and saw I was 2 min off what I needed to run. I didn’t check my time again until 24 and then saw I needed to finish in a little over 15 min to qualify. And I just decided to let off the goal, and enjoy the rest of the run – take in the crowds, high five little kids, and cross the line feeling experiencing everything. Seemed like a good idea in my fuzzy head at the time.

But now in retrospect, I’m kicking myself for not trying my best, making every second count – and like you’ve said, running the race as if it were my last. As always, I appreciate your thoughts and experience. I don’t think I’d have made it to Boston without your suggestions on changing my nutrition and fluid intake when I trained with you in 2007. It has made such a difference in my endurance and performance.

Thanks again – for everything.

No comments: