Monday, May 25, 2009

Deborah G participates in JCC Triathlon May 25

The text on my phone read: "You are a GREAT COACH!!!! Thanks for pushing me and putting up with me. This is just the beginning."




I have been personal training Deborah for 2 years and I'm always looking for a new challenge to keep her motivated. When I discovered she was an excellent swimmer, I knew it was time to enter a triathlon.



The first issue was to find a bike. Fortunately Deborah was able to borrow this bike. Not only does it have a comfortable position and easy shifting, it comes equipped with a "big booty saddle" as DG put it.



Deborah and I did some training sessions on that bike.



I can tell you she smiled only momentarily for this picture...she was tired and spent. Unfortunately due to a bum knee, Deborah would not be able to do the run leg of the triathlon,m which she had planned to walk anyway. Instead, she registered as a team along with my elite running client, Ashly Dewberry.



But when race day arrived Deborah was totally stoked. I was very pleased to see that she was in a great mood and even hanging out with Kathleen and Marlena.



I did not see Deborah in the swim but I was told she was very smooth. I did see her come in on the bike and she looked very relaxed and happy. Never mind the hill she had climbed on Old Hickory Blvd.



Ashly was waiting for her in the transition area, chillin'.



Another competitor gave her a high-five as she was approaching the team hand-off tent.



Ashly ran a brisk 10:52 for two miles, and they both crossed the finish line together. It was wonderful to see and everyone was very inspired.



Here I am after the race with Deborah. I know she has a new interest in cycling, especially thanks to the big booty seat. Hopefully we can get her knee happy so she can finish a complete triathlon sometime soon.

Great job Deborah!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Way to go girl! Woohoo
You are an inspiration.
Beth