Thursday, November 19, 2009

Kevin Clouse: First Time Iron Distance Triathlete


Photo: Kevin Clouse after finishing Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance.

I like to share my client's experience in their own words whenever possible. Here are excerpts from Kevin's race report:

"At the beginning of the year I had only thought about ironman as being possible maybe in 1 or 2 years. My goal this year was to complete the swim in Chattanooga without dog paddling and possible do a ½ ironman race. I had heard Coach Stephen speak at several triathlons and wanted to start training with the group because I had done what I could on my own. I started training in March 2009 not sure what to expect, but after meeting the people in the group I knew I was in the right place to learn how to do triathlons.

With the training over the next few months I went to Chattanooga and not only finished the swim without dog paddling, I cut my swim time from 40 minutes to 27 minutes. I finished the 2008 race in 3 hrs 28 minutes in 2009 I finished in 2 hrs 54 minutes! After having met that goal I was just going to finish the year with another Olympic race and the atomic man ½ ironman. That was when the plan took a dramatic shift. After swim class one night Stephen, Susan, Mindy, Matt, Richard, Libby and myself go for some dinner. The conversation shifts to Beach 2 Battleship. That night was the first I had heard of it. The ½ had been sold out so I did not really think about going to the event. That was when Stephen told me I should do it. I said to him, “I thought the ½ was sold out?” Stephen answers “do the full ironman”. At this point I had thought ironman was at least 1 to 2 years away. I had only done 1 marathon. Never ridden past 45 miles on a bike, and was just now getting comfortable swimming in open water. But after listening to Stephen and everyone that night I have to say I started to think seriously about it. I talked to family and friends about it they all thought I was crazy! but encouraged me to do it. About 24hrs later I decided to signup for it.

Now that I have signed up for this race I start think about it, 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 run. The enormity of this event left me wondering what the heck did I just sign myself up to do? Started training by following the workouts that Stephen had setup. The long bike rides on the Natchez Trace, the Time trials at bells bend, Dave Scott bricks. The list goes on. I have to say that the more I did these workouts and the length and intensity got longer, my confidence started to grow. What at first seemed impossible started to feel a little more realistic. When we started tapering 3 weeks out, I had just done my 2nd 20 mile long run and it was about then I knew I could finish.

[On race day] I just kept counting down the miles. I came over the last hill and get ready to turn the corner to go to finish and I saw Stephen on his bike and he says,” glad to see you, everyone has been worried”, I told him about the pain in my feet and knees and how it slowed me down, he just laughed and said, “welcome to ironman” I saw the finish line and turned to corner and did not feel anymore pain. I was now an IRONMAN!

I am typing this up 3 days after finishing. I don’t think the reality has set in as to what it means to finish that race. But I do know the race was just a small part of the whole experience of the last 9 months. I signed up for this group in March not sure what to expect. The experience for me has been life changing. Without all the encouragement from my family, friends and now the new friends I have made being part of this team none of this would have been possible.

Thanks

Kevin

No comments: