Monday, February 2, 2009

Springwater Roller Races

This event was put on by the Nashville Urban Bicycle League. As far as I can tell this is group of punk-fixed-gear-riding-alcoholics-with-a-cycling-addiction. They had affiliations like "Scumlife" and "Rat Patrol." This is an outside-of-the-box kind of event for the typical triathlete / endurance person who I imagine reads this blog. I hope you enjoy the videos and pictures.

As you can see I was the only nerd there wearing spandex, except for Dewb who wisely observed "these guys think I am a bad a$$. I'm not going to get up there and race and have them kick my a$$." Of course I had to race and did get my a$$ kicked. The only other thing I can say about this is if you enjoy beer and bikes you missed a good event. This was definitely something fun to do in the winter to pass the time until nice outdoor riding weather arrives, hopefully they do it again.


VIDEO: Disclaimer: I do not endorse using tobacco products while bike racing.



VIDEO: Note the focus, and ironic mustache. This was the championship round.


Scan: The Bracket.


Photo: This is Jello Joey. He hooked up his chopper bike for one race.


Photo: Chris Callis, designer of the 4 x roller system.


Photo: Me, about to eat humble pie.


Photo: Far cooler than a $5000 carbon SRAM race bike.


Photo: The scene.


Photo: DJ Coach on the one's and two's.


Photo: I got nothing.


Photo: I can't be sure but I honestly believe that Courtney Love, pictured, made an appearance.


Photo: My super-awesome fiance, Susan.

1 comment:

Hackelope said...

Everyone on that bike lost :/ but ho! The explanation surfaced in the gmail group:

"[...]As many of you noticed, the black and white bike (my own bike
actually) never won a race. It was the green graph. Yeah... about
that... I talked to the programmer who said he'd never heard of a bike
lagging.

Then I realized that with my focus on getting the computer hardware
set up and running, I forgot to change the gearing on that bike. So
while everyone else was running 48x16, this bike was running 48x19.
Doing the math, this means that whoever was racing on this bike
(myself included at one time) actually rode 480m during a race while
everyone else rode 400m. Your welcome for the extra fitness[...]"

I rode on it too. But damn the whole thing was fun regardless. We're just there to ride, right?