Friday, December 3, 2010

James Garges at Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon


I have know James for some time as his daughter Mary has been a long-time friend and client of mine in Nashville.  Sometime this summer James contacted me and asked if I would help him prepare for Beach 2 Battleship. He was not sure if he was up for the challenge, but I knew with a smart training strategy and time to prepare he would do well.


 James writes:
Hey Stephen,
Had a great race thanks to you.  Swim- 1:17, Bike - 6:55, Run- 5:18 for a 13:51.  Not bad for an old man.  I felt good during the entire race and the nuturition tips you gave me made a real difference.  I kept a steady pace on the bike and the wind was not to bad.  Pretty cool at the start of the swim, but it warmed up to about 70 on the mid point of the bike.  Some headwind, but not that bad.  I finished the first half marathon in 2:35 and walked the hills as you suggested.  I was able to run steady for the entire second half and didn't leave to much on the course.
It was a great experience and I felt like I really did something when I finished.  Your training plan and encouragement made a huge difference. Thanks for all you did to get me ready.
Best regards, Jim

Beach 2 Battleship is near-and-dear to my heart.  I prefer non-WTC iron distance triathlons and this one is one of the best out there.  

No comments: