Thursday, July 24, 2008

Steve White finish his first 70.3!

Okay Steve White is getting hardcore. First Escape from Alcatraz (read about that insanity here). Next, a 70.3! Steve writes:

The first two letters in Providence are PR!!
OK, it was my first 70.3, but I finished! Alive!

Swim 1.2 miles ocean open water- open water swim PR, 41:43min (2:11 /100m). I heard several seasoned competitors state that it was the roughest swim they had ever encountered.
Bike 56 miles point to point from Narragansett RI to Providence RI through the Rhode Island countryside- bike PR 3:36:43 (15.5mph, but I did stop and let a guy use my CO2 tire inflator at mile 50)...(I never said I was fast)
Run 13.1 miles- legs gave out, had to walk most of it. Initial plan to run-walk 9:1, changed to 5:5, then 2:8...
Finishing my first Ironman 70.3 mile race in 7:39:13 hours and not dying— PRICELESS

My goal was to finish a 70.3 and I met that goal and physically felt pretty good, so I am very happy.

Nice weather, a little warm and humid in the afternoon, sunny and 84. Water temp 68

Your nutritional, fluid and electrolyte advice was spot on. I followed your advice (300 cals per hour, endurolytes) and did not bonk.
Just need to do more bike/run bricks for future tri’s.
Thanks for all your help!
Steve

No comments: