Monday, January 4, 2010

Walter Swims 25M!

I don't know if you have ever faced adversity while learning to swim. It is one of the most challenging thing for an adult to learn to do. But every once in a while someone comes along who has a body composition that does not allow any manner of buoyancy. If this is you then swimming is going to be your albatross. You might as well throw out the conventional concepts of gliding and body roll.

Walter has run a bunch of half marathons and marathons. He can do a century bike ride without much trouble. But when it comes to swimming, he has been busting his butt to make that first non-stop-25-meter swim. He has studied the books, talked to every swimmer he knows, and drilled swimming incessantly.

The thing is, I knew Walter had that first 25 meter swim in him. He was SO ready. He could effectively do every drill I assigned him. His fitness is obviously strong. We had a converstation about the point when it is time to just keep going. When you are sinking and out of breath and suffering, just go a little farther.

To give him something to focus on, I told him to count strokes. Swim as many strokes as you can. Then try again and go a few strokes further. He then started swimming and when I looked up he was almost to the other side. When he touched the wall, I stripped off all my clothes (except my running shorts) and did a cannonball into the pool I was so happy.



Photo: Walter at Music City Triathlon with Carrie R, who was his relay swimmer. This year he will do the whole race solo.

If you are having a hard time seeing improvement in your swimming, you will like my coaching style. I am very patient and work diligently with you to see improvement. And if you are someone who sinks like a rock (or hate to put your face in the water) then I will work with you for as long as it takes until you can swim. In rare cases, it may take months, but I've seen it happen time and again.

No comments: