Tuesday, October 6, 2009

108 miles, 1 leg, 4 adoptions, 2 heroes, and a huge cannon


Photo: Pre-ride briefing in Maryville, 108 miles to ride today.

Day 2 started early with a rider meeting at 6:45am. Jesse gave us the run-down and we rolled out under the flashing blue THP lights. My knee still hurt, seriously. Within one mile I knew that one of two things would happen that day: I would drop out and ride in a SAG wagon, or I would pedal over 100 miles with my left leg.

My personality is the the kind where I seek out challenges. The bigger the challenge the more appealing. Why just do 433.7 miles in 5 days, when I could do the distance on impossibly difficult PowerCranks? I was overly ambitious for my ironman training, and by the end of the first day my knee was hurt.

But this ride was for something bigger than my own triathlon training. The purpose is to raise awareness and even if I am hurt, I still want to contribute to this goal. So I decided this day I was going to pedal 100 miles with one leg.


Why?


Photo: Pedaling my bike with one leg.

Because right now in Tennessee there are over 100 children awaiting a forever family. Many are victims of abuse or neglect. Many are in foster care or residential placement. Some are approaching the age of 18...and they have no one. So no matter how difficult it got, I was going to make it through this day. I dedicated this difficult day to the difficulties these children faced.

One thing I quickly realized was that pedaling with one leg is SLOW. In one day I went from riding in the front of the tour to riding in nearly last place. Talk about self-reflection. I know what it is like to be in last place, and today I was reminded of that feeling.

One of the celebrations today was in downtown Cleveland, TN. I was really looking forward to this celebration because there was going to be a ceremony finalizing FOUR ADOPTIONS. Since I was adopted as a newborn, I really wanted to see the ceremony. I remember those last 20 miles of pedalling as hard as I could with one leg...and I missed the ceremony. I stood there in the gazebo with tears in my eyes, hidden behind my white Oakley sunglasses. It sucks being slow.


Photo: Adoption Tour celebration in downtown Cleveland TN.



Photo: This is the judge who finalized 4 adoptions during the ceremony. She has performed over 60 adoptions in the last year.

I stood there and watched all the happy people people. There were adults hugging kids and holding babies. The people who were involved in the adoption were wearing nice clothes and I was very happy for them. I walked over and talked to the judge. She shared her view that permanent homes are much more effective than foster homes and temporary placements. "Forever families." She is a huge advocate for adoption because it represents the best ending outcome of a bad situation for child. She has a mountain bike only, but she said she would get a road bike and ride with us next year. Talking to her made me feel better after missing the adoption ceremony.

So after that bummer was over there were some fun moments. First let me introduce you to a couple of my heroes:


Photo: Michael and Zan.

These guys were 2 of the 5 on the very first adoption tour. They are so cool because the chill in the back of the ride and take care of people. They have incredibly caring attitudes towards everyone. I admire what they started and I am grateful to be part of it's current incarnation. Plus they have cool bikes.

Okay this is just a funny picture:



Our lunch stop was in the parking lot of an shooters supply store. When I went in to use the bathroom I saw this insane looking, cannon-sized gun. The man working there told me to pick it up. I strained to lift the supports off the glass cabinet. I'm glad I don't have to use one of those things.

What a strange day. 108 miles with one leg. 4 adoptions. One huge gun. And where would we sleep that night?

No comments: