Monday, October 5, 2009

Youth...and Youth Villages

Today I had the chance to learn more about the plight of adoption in Tennessee. One of the questions I was wondering about is the particular focus of the adoption tour. Speaking again with Elizabeth Black, I learned that the biggest need is for families that will provide a "forever home" to older youths usually between the age of 10-17.

Newborn adoptions are usually implemented through a private adoption agency, where the birth mother is involved and can literally chose the adoptive parents.

On the other hand children who have suffered abuse and neglect take more time to find adoptive parents. In fact, by the time a young person has reached the age of 10-17, there already exists a group of people who love them. This includes neighbors, coaches, and teachers. It is more common for someone who already knows the child to adopt them, although not always the case.

One of the friends who I made on the ride is Pat Lawler. I have to admit I was not sure what I thought of him at first when we got on the Charter Bus in Nashville. He seemed to talk to everyone with ease and we talked a little about bikes and aerobars. When you are new to a group you are sizing everyone up.

Well by time we were mid-way through the ride this morning, I was riding with Pat most of the time. He was telling me about how his entire career has been working with troubled youths, and how he loves his current work as CEO of Youth Villages. He enjoyed hearing my stories about ultramarathons and ironman triathlons.


Photo: Pat Lawler and I at the end of a long day of riding.

No comments: