Sunday, October 4, 2009

Reflections on the Adoption Tour


Today was a very relaxing day of travel, celebration, and R& R. The hard work starts tomorrow with a 112 mile bike ride. But there were some emotional moments today.

Firstly, an adoption worker named Elizabeth Black gave a talk on the goals of the tour. She reported that there are over 100 kids in TN waiting for an adoptive family. Everyone on the Adoption Tour--riders, support crew, organizers, and sponsors--are advocates for adoption. If you are reading this you are taking part in my personal effort to do this.

Ms. Black also pointed out that we are not only raising public awareness, we are raising our "internal awareness." Do you go into work each day ready to give your best? Do you give your best effort to your children, spouse, and parents? What is in the way of that? That is something I hope to examine within myself during this week.

My first opportunity to be challenged was when Susan and I examined a display describing around a dozen youths waiting for adoption. Often when I think of adoption I think of newborn babies, but these children ranged from 10-17. My guess is that they all had experienced some sort of neglect, abuse, or personal problems. Many regularly participated in counseling and educational assistance.

That is really sad to think about; Children and teenagers who did not have the chance to have the guidance, support, and love that I experienced growing up. If you had these things growing up you are one of the lucky ones. I know I am.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope today's ride was not as hard as it sounded. I hate that I'm not there riding with you, but I plan to meet you at the finish here in Nashville. Stay strong and dry!!! I'm rooting for all of you!
Becky Lewis