Saturday, October 10, 2009

Carrie and Kevin complete half irons

In their own words:

Carrie Rollins
Augusta 70.3
6:03:01


As most of you already know, I ended up with a tail-kicking sinus infection that left me sitting at home in bed on Wednesday. I surrendered my goal of finishing in a sub-six hour time, but still had hopes of finishing the race. As Brad and I traveled to Augusta, I was high on drugs sleeping most of the way and basically stayed in bed until race day. Brad wasn’t sure if I was going to make it to the start line. But…as the saying goes, “you can’t keep a good women down.”

When I saw the finish line I screamed like I won a million dollars. I was clueless about the time. I didn’t care. I finished. My knee wasn’t hurting, I wasn’t going to pass out, I may get sick (and did) but even that was okay. Metal around my neck I found my husband Brad. YEAH!It was a great day. The three minutes and one second over my original goal of a sub-six hour half ironman was the best three minutes…I kept my number ONE rule – Have fun. And I did. Bring on B2B!


Kevin Herrington
Atlantic Coast Triathlon
6:21:31

I will admit I am disappointed with my time and felt it should have been at least 22 minutes faster. However I did finish and that in of itself is a major accomplishment to me. Through the training I accomplished and surpassed many of my goals. I would have never made it this far without the support of my wonderful wife, Sonya, and the coaching of Stephen Taylor. For now I am stepping away from this sport as it requires more time than I willing to continue to commit. There are just too many things I need/ want to do with that time. When I come back I will kick the half iron (70.3) in the butt and conquer the full Ironman.

No comments: